We use electricity every day so it's easy to take it for granted. Electricity needs to be treated with caution and used wisely to keep you safe.
To prevent electrical accidents, be aware of the warning signs, including:
- A tingling feeling when you touch an appliance or fitting
- Appliances or fittings hotter than normal to touch
- Fuses frequently blowing or circuit breakers tripping and needing to be reset
- Dim or flickering lights
- Unusual smells or noises
- Scorch marks on plugs or sockets or any electrical appliance or fitting
- Power going off in your home unexpectedly
- Damaged insulation or fittings – such as cables, flexes, cords, and switches showing exposed wiring
You can also visit the Safe living with electricity website for more information on safe electricity usage in the home.